FTDNA Family Finder Matches look a bit different today. It is a good thing. Here is how a typical Matches page looks when you open it. The first thing I noticed was that the Suggested Relationship column was gone. This makes me oh so happy. It has been the source of much confusion for a long time.
You will need to head to Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) and Login.
A major change is the slim new filter bar. This post will talk about it.
- This trendy house and bush image indicates home. It clears all filtering.
- This is the Relations filter to which we are accustomed. Here it is set to Show All Matches. This has all of the past filters with one change. The date based New Since filter has been replaced. There are now two new filters: New Since 3 Months and New Since 6 Months. These respectively show matches for the last 3 and 6 months.
- Sort by is the new sorting filter. It has some great options including Y-DNA and mtDNA Haplogroups where matches have tested for those.
- The Name filter is where you can enter all or part of your matches’ first and last names.
- This is the Ancestral Surnames filter. The new version is simple and straight forward.
- There is now an apply button. Filters do not update until it is clicked. I have to say that I love this.
OK. That is the new filter bar. I am impressed that everything is single click to open or close. There aren’t any courser hover requirements.
Next time, I will talk about the options at the top of the matching table.